You can have all the customers in the world knocking at your door, but if you can’t maintain productivity and efficiency, you can’t make a profit. Having the best tools for the job allows an operation to keep up and make money during regular or increased demand. Investing in innovative tools and services will minimize downtime and increase profits in the long run.
Here are six key things to consider when looking to make more money in your aggregates operation.
• Washing Equipment: Update your washing plant with a high-pressure aggregate washing machine. Not only does it accelerate your washing process, but its high-speed nozzles get deep into cracks and crevices to clean deleterious material, turning what was once waste material into sellable product – all while minimizing water and energy costs. Some washing systems reduce water consumption by as much as 75% and energy costs by up to 15% over traditional washing systems. Look for a system with a compact size and weight to reduce your footprint and to save on structural costs.
• Correct Screen Media: Learn the benefits of different types of screen media, such as woven wire cloth or engineered screen media, for your specific operation. Choosing the best mix of screen media will maximize service life and uptime while saving on costly repairs. Have an expert technician evaluate your screen media type and placement, train personnel on proper installation and work side-by-side with your team to develop preventative maintenance schedules.
• Reliable Service: Partner with a reliable company with a good history that will provide service, when needed, within a day’s notice. This will keep you running at OEM standards rather than dealing with days of downtime. Also, look for a company that offers on-site training and service on equipment, from vibrating screens to washing systems. Choose a manufacturer that follows up after an installation to ensure you and your crew are satisfied with your training and the equipment’s performance.
• Innovative Tools: Take advantage of technology that provides real-time feedback to help monitor how your equipment is operating. Performing real-time vibration analysis on a vibrating screen will optimize screen performance and equipment durability. Some manufacturers offer software that finds irregularities that could translate into diminished performance, decreased efficiency and increased operating costs. Look for a program with components specifically chosen and engineered for the aggregates industry.
•Stocked OEM Parts: Only use OEM parts on your equipment to ensure every piece fits perfectly to maximize productivity. Rely on a manufacturer with standard, OEM parts stocked in a facility and ready to ship. This will prevent extended downtime and ensure your equipment is running at peak efficiency.
• Be Part of a Team: Choose a manufacturer that doesn’t just sell a product but partners with you and understands your industry and processes. A company that can serve as your one-stop shop for operational needs – from processing to storage to loading – gives you the best combination of aggregates products, services and expertise.
About Peter Kilmurray
Peter Kilmurray is vice president of sales at Haver & Boecker Niagara’s Canada facility. He brings more than 20 years of industry experience and a background in electrical engineering and business administration. Kilmurray is responsible for managing the company’s sales representatives to ensure customer satisfaction.